In New Jersey, the most common bee is the Carpenter bee:
- Carpenter bees are the largest in size and are often mistaken for bumblebees
- Carpenter bees are solitary bees and do not live in colonies underground
- Carpenter bees build their nests in pieces of wood such as roof overhangs, fences, siding, decks and porch railings
- The entrance to their nest is typically a ½-inch hole that leads to a hollowed out tunnel where they store their food and lay their eggs.
- Carpenter bees do not actually eat wood, only nest in it, and they often become aggressive when protecting their home.
- Bumblebees and Honeybees are next in line in terms of size and popularity: Bumblebees are commonly found living in the ground or in the openings of a foundation, while Honeybees can be discovered building hives in trees.
- Bumblebees and Honeybees are social insects and form colonies in which they store food and reproduce
Bumblebees and Honeybees are floral visitors and will pollinate a variety of plants throughout the day. These bees will likely visit patches of flowers that are near their colonies. Many times, they return to feed from the same flowers every day as long as nectar and pollen can be found.
Removing any type of bee from your property can be difficult and dangerous as bees will defend their nest or hive by stinging the intruder. These stings are painful and for people who have a bee allergy, detrimental to their health. Therefore, it is important to take proper action by calling a bee removal specialist who will properly remove the hive or nest.
Bee free guarantee
A few years ago, we developed the Merlin’s Bee Free Guarantee treatment program to help a friend who had a severe allergic reaction to bees and was forced to remain inside during the summer. Our Bee Free Guarantee program consists of treating the home or property to remove current bee nests or hives and to prevent future invasions.
If you’re having a problem with bees, our bee removal specialists will thoroughly inspect your home from top to bottom, identify the type of bee you’re seeing and plan the method of extermination. We use a comprehensive treatment to not only eliminate the bees that are visible, but the entire nest. Every spring, a new set of bees will begin nesting on your property, but we like to get there before they do! Our specialists will prevent new nests from starting by using innovative treatments to protect your home all season long from stinging pests.
Our friend is enjoying his yard and you should be too. Let a Merlin’s specialist bring the bees to a halt when they return in the spring!